Thursday, July 15, 2010

the reason why

Wednesday evening I had the kind of ride that is the reason why horsepeople live and breathe. It was a pleasant evening, no one else around, and even after working all day I was ready to ride.
We didn't do anything special, just rode in the outdoor arena, but everything came together to make an ordinary day into one that will keep me going through the rough days for a long time. I was relaxed and easy on Pixie, she was relaxed and easy carrying me. We communicated without effort, like we were reading each other's minds. Our bodies flowed together in a calm, harmonious dance. I had thought to ride only for a short while, but I was having so much fun that time was irrelevant. Pixie and I were just in the moment, together.
I wish I could capture that feeling more often, but maybe one thing that makes it so special is that it is fleeting and rare. All I know for sure is that all the sweat, tears, vet bills, and hard knocks are nothing compared to this one superlative ride. This is my reason why.

No comments:

Post a Comment